Today, many people suffer from tooth loss mainly caused by decay, disease, or injury. However, Dr. Mordena Sullen at MLK Dental Center, located in Washington Park, Atlanta, GA, offers an effective solution to tooth loss called dental implants.
What Are Dental Implants?
When dentists place dental implants, they replace the root of the tooth, providing a strong foundation for fixed or removable replacement teeth. The root is made of titanium and is inserted into the bone to support a crown, bridge, or denture.
Advantages of Dental Implants
There are numerous advantages to dental implants, and they include:
- Improved comfort: Dental implants become a part of you and are accepted naturally by your body, eliminating the discomfort that can come from dentures.
- Improved appearance: Dental implants look and feel like your natural teeth and become permanent when fused with the bone.
- Improved speech: With dental implants, you can speak without the worry that your teeth may slip. Poor-fitted dentures may slip in your mouth, causing you to mumble or slur your speech.
- Eating is easier: When you have sliding dentures, it can make chewing difficult. Dental implants function like natural teeth, you can eat your favorite foods confidently and without discomfort.
- Improved confidence: When you have your smile back after dental implant placement, you will experience a big boost of self-confidence.
- Durable: Dental implants are designed to last many years and, with reasonable care, can last a lifetime.
- Convenient: With dental implants, you don't have to worry about removing them as you do with dentures. You also can forget about having to use messy adhesives to keep them in place.
Can Anyone Receive Dental Implants?
In most cases, if you are healthy enough to undergo a routine dental extraction or another oral surgery, you can qualify for a dental implant. Good candidates for dental implants have healthy gums and enough bone to hold and maintain the implant. Dr. Sullen at MLK Dental Center, located in Washington Park, Atlanta, GA, will be able to discuss if dental implants are right for you. However, if you are a heavy smoker, suffer from an uncontrolled chronic disorder, or had radiation therapy to your head or neck, you may not qualify.
To learn more about dental implants, call Dr. Sullen at MLK Dental Center in Washington Park, Atlanta, GA, to make an appointment for a consultation at (404) 752-7777.